British product designer Jasper Morrison is considered to be one of the most successful designers of our time. His reduced, elegantly designed creations come across as unpretentious; they are unobtrusive in their shape and focussed as far as possible on their usefulness. Morrison has always succeeded in extending his design skills across many aspects of human life. The spectrum of his work ranges from the design of furniture for brands such as Cappellini and Vitra through to electronics, and even a design for the tramway system in Hanover – to name but a few of his projects.
"With his designs, many of which have found their way into famous museums across the world, Morrison has shaped a style of design which combines uncompromising functionality and timeless elegance in a unique manner", stated Andrej Kupetz, CEO of the German Design Council and Jury Chairman, as a justification for the jury’s decision.
Morrison was born in London in 1959 and founded his design studio, Jasper Morrison Ltd, in 1986. To date he has collaborated with famous manufacturers and has also established branches in Paris and Tokyo.
Information on the awards and the prize winners:
- Click on www.german-design-award.com/the-winners/?L=3#c1003 to find out more about the "Personality of the Year" title.
- All winners of the German Design Awards 2020 competition can be seen in our online gallery: www.german-design-award.com/en/the-winners.
- Up-to-date lists of winners in the German Design Awards 2020, well as image material, is available for downloading: bit.ly/gda2020-press.
- "Public Choice Award": voting for the "Public Choice Award" remains open in the online gallery until 17 January 2020. You can find more information here: www.german-design-award.com/en/public-choice-info-seite/public-choice.html
- "German Design Awards Newcomer": the winner of this title, which comes with a cash prize, will be announced during the awards ceremony. You can see who the five finalists are on the German Design Awards website.
Awards ceremony at the Ambiente trade show
The winners in the German Design Awards 2020 will receive their prizes during the official awards ceremony on 7 February 2020, the opening day of the Ambiente trade show in Frankfurt am Main. Representatives of the press will be welcome at the awards ceremony. The German Design Council Foundation looks forward to your registration at: email@example.com
After the awards ceremony, all attendees are invited to come and see the winning projects on display at the:
- "Excellent Product Design" exhibition in the Galleria Nord in Hall 8 of the Frankfurt am Main Exhibition Centre. Open during Ambiente 2020.
- "Excellent Communications Design" and "Excellent Architecture" exhibitions in the Museum Angewandte Kunst, Frankfurt am Main. The exhibition opens at 6.00 p.m. on 7 February 2020. Open from 7–23 February 2020.
Growing number of international participants
In the German Design Awards 2020, prizes were awarded in the three main categories "Excellent Product Design", "Excellent Communications Design" and "Excellent Architecture". A total of about 5,300 entries from 69 countries marked a further increase in the number of participants from outside Germany. Accordingly, the international jury, consisting of representatives from the fields of industry, science and design, faced a tough job in selecting the most impressive entries. At the end of their deliberations they chose a total of 70 gold award winners in the 61 different categories.
German Design Awards
The German Design Awards constitute the German Design Council's premium international prize, and is one of the world's most renowned design competitions. "Since our foundation in 1953, our primary task has been to observe, analyse and evaluate what is happening in design on an international level," explained Andrej Kupetz, CEO of the German Design Council. "Each year's winners not only exemplify the economic and cultural value of outstanding design, they also provide a sense of direction and are representative of current themes and trends."